Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Hey you, get off of my cloud!


You know the feeling: you share your BHAG (Big Hairy Audacious Goal) with a friend and they chime in with “Whatever man, get real. Good luck with that one?” and like a pinprick to a balloon you are instantly deflated.

Sharing your dream takes courage. When you lay your cards on the table you want the passion to be reciprocated. Unfortunately, more often than not, you get the devils advocate. Why do some people feel the need to drag others down? Perhaps insecurity, past let downs or envy? Who knows . . .

I used to get very upset when my dreams were “poo-pooed” Lots of huffing and puffing, lots of  “they don’t get me”. Then, my wife hit me with the trout-slap, “ if your conviction is so strong, why do you care what others think?” Yes, good point, insert moment of clarity.

Thanks to Jen, I realized that my own insecurities, not others, were the issue.  Jen’s question was tough, she prompted some serious reflection and personal change. The answers were not easy but very empowering, a journey worth taking.  The answers are still a work in progress.

I am learning not to “pitch” my goals so much, just to go out and achieve them.  Focusing on the internal motivation for my goals is much more lasting than any external recognition.

If someone asks, I’ll speak to my dreams. If they punch holes, I bite my lip, thank them for the feedback and move on.

If they think my heads in the sky, that’s fine.  I take Jagger’s approach and say to myself, “Hey you, get off of my cloud!”

No comments:

Post a Comment